ALL STAR BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Tyler Coleman

ALL STAR BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Tyler Coleman
Senior star Tyler Coleman (center) signs his Letter of Intent to attend West Chester U. next year, while Quakertown High School coaches (at left) John Makoul and Steve Cherrybon look on.  ASBA Coach John Bellis, who has coached Tyler on tournament teams, is shown at right.



Tyler Coleman, standout student-athlete at Quakertown High School, has been named this week's All Star Baseball Player of the Week.  A senior who has starred on the mound and in the infield for Quakertown, Tyler recently signed to attend West Chester University next year on a baseball scholarship.  He has also starred for the past 3 seasons for ASBA tournament teams.


His All Star Coach, John Bellis, is a big supporter of Coleman's many skills.

"Tyler has the 'work ethic' factor down. Most players work hard, but not when they're alone," said Bellis.  "I've been to Tyler's house and have seen his garage set-up, with the catch net, balls, tee, and the different hitting equipment. It was worn out in there, so worn that I'm sure thousands of swings were taken!


His personality is that of a winner," continued Bellis.  "Failure motivates him as opposed to what it does to most young players. A lot of players have talent. But talent only gets you so far as an athlete. Character, work ethic and an individual drive is what makes a player really excel, and Tyler possesses all of these traits." 

"I'm very happy to be going to West Chester next year and get the chance to play for Coach (Mark) Jackson," said Coleman.  "West Chester has a great program year after year, and they feel that I will fit in well as a middle infielder or at third base.  I'm really looking forward to it."

Coleman has starred at several infield positions and also served as the closer for the Quakertown High School team last year.  He has a strong arm and a consistent, quick bat.

"I think my arm strength and my hitting are probably my two biggest plus factors in baseball," said Coleman.  "I really enjoy hitting and work hard at it.  I'm more of a gap hitter, and not really a home run hitter.  I've got some power but I don't try to hit home runs-
I try to drive the ball into the gaps."

How did West Chester's coaches first notice Tyler and how did he catch their eye?

 
"I was not really on West Chester's radar until last August when I played in the All Star Baseball Showcase in Lancaster," noted Coleman.  "I did well in the drills and then in one game, I hit a homer and two singles.  It was a good game for me and they took notice and talked to me.  That Showcase in Lancaster really made a difference and it's worked out great for me."


"Tyler played for one of my first teams at the 15U level, then again at the 16U level for two seasons and then for my Showcase team last summer where he peaked," said Bellis. "He played mostly shortstop and third base, however he also has strong pitching abilities. This past summer, Tyler was throwing 85-86 mph, topping at 88 several times through the summer. 
"Where he plays positionally in college will be up to Coach Jackson at West Chester, but I believe he is being brought in to compete at the third base position," Bellis pointed out. "I have no doubt Tyler will succeed over his four years there.  When will be determined by how much exposure he gets early on to that level of baseball. If Tyler continues to work hard, which I expect he will, his success will continue to grow for as long as he plays."

Congratulations, Tyler, for being named All Star Baseball's Player of the Week and best of luck as you continue your baseball career this fall with the West Chester Golden Rams! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...