Friday: Player Spotlight

Friday: Player Spotlight





Andy Kirkland (photo courtesy of the Daily Local News on 4/8/10) is a senior outfielder at Unionville High School. He is committed to UNC Asheville where he will join area stars Elliott Criss (Springford), Dean Roland (Avon Grove) & Casey Ebersole (Manheim Central) in the Bulldogs 2011 Class. All Star Baseball Academy interviewed Andy earlier this week.


How many years have you been coming to All Star Baseball Academy?

I have gone to All Star since I was around 7 years old so about 11 years.
Who were you instructors?

I started with Dan and Mike Manning.  The rest of my years were mostly with Mike Manning and Justin Klinger.  I learned a lot from what I was taught.  Mike Manning basically made my stance and swing and I credit him for much of my success.  Justin Klinger also helped me a lot too.

What did you work on the most during your lessons?

I worked on hitting the most but I also did a lot of throwing on the indoor field at West Chester.  That field really helped me keep my arm in shape during the winter.

You have 9 homeruns this year, what do you credit for you increase in power?

I credit my swing but I also credit my weight lifting over this past winter.  I did upper body but I also strengthened my legs which has helped me tremendously.

How is your high school season going this year?

Its going great.  I've had fun playing for Unionville and hopefully we make the playoffs.

Who is the best pitcher you've faced this season?

Christian Duclose so far.  I never got to face Dean Roland, Bill Fallis or Casey Roche though.

You are headed to UNC Asheville next fall. What are you looking forward to most?

I am looking forward to playing baseball and moving on to the next level.  Asheville is in a great spot to play baseball.

What are your personal baseball goals?

My personal goal is to become successful at the college level and If I'm lucky, maybe even play some professional baseball.

If you could give one piece of advice to a young baseball player what would it be?

Never give up on the game.  Especially hitting because there are plenty of ups and downs in hitting so stay motivated.
____________________________________________________________________________
For more information about baseball lessons, coaching or tips go to  allstarbaseballacademy.com  .


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...