Freaky Flicks Review: Paranormal Activity

Freaky Flicks Review: Paranormal Activity
I have been waiting a solid two years for this movie to finally be released. Technically it hasn't been "released" yet. It's only playing in a grand total of 33 cities in the entire country, and it's only getting exclusive midnight showings just for this current weekend. There is a rumor floating that the movie will be getting a more wide release in 40 markets, with more normal show times starting October 9th, and I really hope this is true. This is a movie that every fan of horror should see. THIS is a true horror movie. THIS movie shows you do not need a drop of blood, you don't need any torture scenes, you don't need any clichéd jump scenes, you don't need ANY of that to unnerve an audience. This is absolutely one of the best horror film's I've seen and yes I have to say it is probably the most creepy and scariest film's I've seen. That comes with a side note though, more on that later.

The story is very simple. A young San Diego couple is haunted by something in their house. They believe it is a demon who has been following the Katie character. They don't think it's the house that's haunted, but it's her who is haunted. So they can't go anywhere, that this thing won't follow. That's the first element of creepy in this movie. The movie is all hand held camera, but not all that shaky. We see the day time drama between the two, and we get a great glimpse into their relationship and you quickly love both of them and root for them. They were very believable as a couple, which just adds to the realism of the film. At night they have a camera set up in the bedroom to capture any strange happenings. And there are some straaaaannge happenings.

The performances of these two were shockingly good and extremely authentic. This movie is not real, but it felt as if we were watching actual lost footage. Their performances were not clean and never seemed scripted. They spoke like actual people and not all "Hollywood". Like I mentioned above, their realism as a couple and as normal people added so much to the likability of these characters as well as the tension of the film. You really felt for these guys. They also were quite funny, which just was a nice benefit to them as well as the movies story. Their humor eased the tension at times, which is needed for a film like this.

Now on to what everyone really wants to know: is this movie as scary as everyone says it is? My answer: no. It was just a tad bit overhyped, and I fell victim to the hype. I now wish I had seen no previews for the film, or had read so much about it because it would have been a much more terrifying movie to experience. The preview was also way to revealing. HOWEVER, this movie IS extremely creepy and has some pretty darn scary moments and most of it is just so unnerving and tense. It may not have been super scary, but it was easily the creepiest movie I've ever seen (mind you I don't get scared easily in movies, and this movie creeped me out like no movie has since Poltergeist...so there ya go).

The movie was as realistic as watching one of your own home movies. THAT is why this movie is so scary. You can relate to these people, you can relate to hearing weird noises in your home. So you immediately connect with their situation. You find yourself immersed in their world so easily. When things start happening, it is done with no obvious visual effects or CGI. The visuals in this movie were incredible. This movie was made for $11,000, and had more impressive visuals than it's millions of dollar counterpart: Cloverfield. I had NO clue how they pulled off the stuff they did in this film, and I don't even care to find out.

The first half of the film is all build up, but it does have some freaky moments. Simple things like doors opening and closing, footsteps, banging on the walls, etc. It really builds up some intensity and you just KNOW something is going down by the end of this thing. In the first half when all the nightvision scenes come on, you can't help but feel a little nervous that something crazy is going to happen. When something really scary doesn't happen, you don't feel let down, at least I didn't, because that makes it more tense. The events escalate throughout the film. The second half is probably the scariest stuff I've ever seen in a movie, especially that final twenty minutes. i don't want to reveal ANY of the scares though. There is a scene in this movie that really freaked me out as well as the audience, but I'm not about to reveal what it was. But it was just so unsettling and trippy that it made me partially uncomfortable to sleep in my bed. It has something to do with the bed, and everyone who has seen it probably knows what I'm talking about. It was THE most convincing and terrifying effect I think I've ever seen in any horror movie, and it was brilliant and scary.

Also the last scene was super tense. I already knew what was going to happen, if you've seen the trailer, you can put two and two together and pretty much know how the movie will end. However, the minute leading up to the final scene was SO intense and I won't lie...even though I knew what was about to happen, my heart was racing. It was eerily quiet for a good 30 seconds, then....well....I won't go on. Ugh, gives me the heebie jeebies.

This movie may not scare everyone, but I will be honest with you...it scared me. Now that I'm here writing about it, and thinking about it...yes, this is easily the creepiest movie I've ever seen and I urge everyone to see it! It wasn't AS scary as it could have been though, if that makes any sense. But yeah...really freaky. It will give a lot of people nightmares, and it will make a lot of people to go home and sleep in their bed. Who knows what's really going on? I also just want to point out that this is a good movie in general. It is worthy of its current 92% on rotten tomatoes. Simple but entertaining and engaging story, realistic characters who you tend to love, and some great creep out moments! It was really entertaining, and I know for a fact already it will be my favorite horror movie of 2009 and really one of my favorite horror movies ever.

If you can...please go and see this movie...NOW! Really good movie.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...